Store-bought fruit jams are very often than not, full of sugars and preservatives. On a quest to find a healthier alternative to a jar full of sugar, I am going to share with you a very simple recipe that requires minimal time and ingredients, and can be done on a stove top.
What I like about this recipe is that you can control what kind of sweetener to use, and you’re totally free not to use any as well!
- 2 cups frozen mixed berries
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- Agave syrup, or any sweetener you like (optional)
- On a stove top on medium heat, put the berries into a saucepan and stir until they soften
- Mash the berries either with a potato masher or with the back of a fork or spoon
- Let the mixture come to a gentle boil
- Once bubbling, add the sweetener (optional). I used around a tablespoon of agave syrup, but feel free to put more or less, or none at all.
- Add the chia seeds and let the mixture simmer for a couple of minutes
- Remove from heat and let cool
- Put mixture in a jar and refrigerate. The mixture will thicken further and will keep well for up to 2 weeks
- Optional – you can blend it to a smoother consistency if you prefer to.
I love this chia jam!! First of all, it is refined sugar free and is made out of natural ingredients boasting superfood qualities: full of antioxidants, promote anti-inflammatory benefits and are also full of essential vitamins!
You can enjoy this jam by either using it as a pancake topping, slathered on a piece of toast (or vegan banana bread) along with almond butter, or as a cupcake filling!