Veggy Malta looks at Sattva’s range of superfoods. These include Hemp Seeds, Hemp Protein, Maca Powder, Baobab Powder, Chlorella Powder, Spirulina Powder, Wheatgrass Powder, Barley Grass, Raw Coconut Oil, Raw Agave Nectar, Cacao Powder, Cacao Beans, Cacao Nibs and Raw Cacao Butter. All the range is organic and furthermore Soil Association approved.
So what are superfoods? Jo’Anna from Jo’s Delights describes them “as a special category of foods which mostly make part of the planet kingdom. The common factor in these foods is that they are very low on the calorie count but very dense in nutrients. Generally speaking they make up for the nutrient depleted foods that are readily available. Packed with powerful antioxidants, healthy bacteria, beneficial protein and much more, superfoods are a wise choice to make up for most shortcomings of modern lifestyles.”
It is important to note that superfoods should still form part of a healthy and balanced diet. They are not a single fix solution but part of a complete diet solution which is why today we hear the use of the term superdiets.
So lets have a look at the list and their benefits.
- Hemp Seeds / Hemp Protein: As the name of the product suggest hemp is a very good source of plant based protein. It furthermore provides a complete protein source (all the amino acids).  Apart from that they are incredibly nutritious with over 30% fat. They are a good source of Vitamin E and in addition also minerals like potassium, sodium, magniesium, sulphur, zinc, phosphorus and iron. 
- Maca Powder: This vegetable native to the Andes of Peru is similar in appearance and size to radishes or turnips. After harvested and ground it is finally made in power form. A number of benefits are also attributed to it including enhancing energy, mood and memory.  It is also deemed to have high anti-oxidant properties. 
- Baobab Powder: The powder comes from the Baobab fruit from tropical regions in Africa including South Africa. In traditional African medicine the Babab fruit is used to treat a number of illness.  The powdery pulp inside it contains high amounts of Vitamin C. It also is loaded with vitamins including calcium, copper, iron, magnesium, potassium, sodium and zinc. 
- Spirulina Powder: This is an algae which as the name indicates grows in a spiral shape. Rich in vitamins A, B1, B2, B6, E and K. It also is rich in protein and contains all the essential amino acids necessary.  So good that WHO recommends it as a solution for malnutrition in third world countries. 
- Chlorella Powder: Like spirulina this is an algae. It is extremely nutritious having 16 g of protein in just 3 tbsp.  It also is a source of vitamins and minerals. Furthermore Chlorella is attributed with helping detox the body from heavy metals. Individuals with thyroid conditions should be aware that Chlorella contains moderate levels of iodine. 
- Wheatgrass Powder: Is a natural source of vitamin A, E, C, K and B6 along with calcium, selenium, magnesium and iron. Most of the research on it focuses on it’s effects on the digestive system.  Due to it’s potency, it is advised not to consume too much at once or too fast. 
- Barley Grass: Rich in minerals and also vitamins including potassium, calcium, magnesium, iron, copper, phosphorus, manganese, zinc, beta carotene, B1, B2, B6, C and folic acid.  It also has antioxidants. Barley grass is most of all popular as an ingredient in juices. Celiacs or individual who have a gluten sensitivity should avoid. 
- Cacao Beans / Cacao Nibs / Raw Cacao Butter: Raw cacao is made by cold-pressing un-roasted cocao beans. This is rich in magnesium, calcium, iron, zinc, copper, potassium and manganese.  Cacao is attributed with anti-inflammatory, anti-allergenic and anti-oxidant properties. 
What is the price of Sattva Superfoods?
Hemp Seeds €9.12 | Hemp Protein €12.00 | Maca Powder €19.00 | Baobab Powder €18.00 | Chlorella Powder €19.86 | Spirulina Powder €17.75 | Wheatgrass Powder €19.08 | Barley Grass €14.24 | Raw Coconut Oil €11.50 | Raw Agave Nectar €6.25 | Cacao Powder €10.98 | Cacao Beans €15.78 | Cacao Nibs €9.71 | and Raw Cacao Butter €10.98.
All Sattva Superfoods can be found at Sattva Health Shop in San Gwann and also in leading supermarkets.
Saturday (June 23rd) Sattva is holding a Superfoods Workshop hosted by Jo’s Delights. An introduction to the use and benefits of superfoods. Valuable information for practical, hassle free, daily application. Limited seating. Price € 20.00 including demos, recipes and tasting
Disclaimer: The information and content on this site is intended to be of general informational use only and is not a substitute advice, diagnosis or treatment by a licensed medical professional. It is not intended to constitute medical advice, medical diagnosis, or medical treatment. It is not meant to cover all possible precautions, drug interactions, circumstances or adverse effects. You should always consult your doctor or other health care professional before using alternative medicine or making any changes in your diet, exercise pattern or lifestyle.
Subscribe To Our Newsletter
Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from our team.
I love Sattva’s Superfoods and Jane and Anna are always helpful. Their products are great.
Glad you love our products
Thanks for the tips on how these superfoods. Maybe some recipes using them would help?
Hi Stef, Thanks. Hopefully we will extend our range of recipes to even include more superfoods. A valid point.
Hi we have a superfood workshop coming up on the 23 rd recipes and taster giving out
Check the even on face book 😉 Sattva superfoods
I use Spirulina and strongly believe in it yet I have never tried out hemp. There’s always a first time for everything I guess.