This week I bought some vegan Greek style cheese to put in my salads. Nothing beats a fresh Greek salad ( or any other type for the matter) on a hot day. I really liked the taste of it, it was very close to Feta, and the texture was good too. It was easy to cube or crumble it. Then while I was enjoying it, I also realised that it made a very good alternative to ricotta salata.
So, of course, I thought about Pasta alla Norma.
This is such an easy and yet delicious way to eat pasta. I have not had it since I went vegan, so I just had to give it a try. I am glad I did and will definitely be making it more often now. These are the ingredients you will need:
- 1 small aubergine
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
- garlic powder
- finely chopped garlic and onion
- canned tomatoes, whole or coarse polpa
- vegan Greek style cheese
- fresh basil leaves
Just 3 easy steps and it is ready in minutes.
- First dice a small aubergine, layer on a baking sheet, drizzle with olive oil and season with salt, pepper and garlic powder. Roast this in a preheated oven on medium for about 30 minutes.
- In the meantime, make a simple tomato sauce by sauteing garlic and onion in olive oil, adding tomatoes and seasoning. Leave to simmer while your aubergine is roasting. ( If you don’t feel like doing any actual cooking, a good jar of tomato sauce will also do).
- Dice the cheese and shred some basil leaves. Start cooking your pasta.
All that is left is to drain your pasta, return it to the pot and add the aubergines, sauce , cheese and basil. Give it a good stir and you are good to go! Bon apetito!