Are you as thrilled that Christmas is coming as me? Now, I still haven’t made myself to bake traditional gingerbread cookies, but there’s still enough time for that since they would not last till Christmas for sure. Today, I prepared this vegan gingerbread cake recipe for you. It is soft and fluffy, a great treat to take with your coffee or tea 🙂 Video recipe is also available on veggymalta facebook page (add link).
1/4 cup coconut oil (melted)
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 cups flour ( I used 1 cup plain and 1 cup wholemeal)
1 cup Scotti oat milk (or other)
2 tsp baking powder
2 tbsp cocoa
1 heaping tsp mixed spice
2-3 tbsp rum
1/4 cup walnuts
Apricot jam ( works with other too)
- Beat melted coconut oil with sugar using electric mixer. Add milk and mix.
- To this mix add flour, baking powder, mixed spice, and cocoa. Combine and pour rum in, mixing carefully. The batter should be a bit runny so you may have to add some more milk or water.
- Chop your walnuts and fold them into the batter.
- Transfer into a small square baking tray, greased and tossed with flour.
- Bake at 180°C about 45 minutes or till the toothpick comes out clean. Let cool.
- Spread jam on the top of the cake and top with shredded coconut*.
*note: You may try it with (vegan) dark chocolate too 🙂 Just melt 50g of dark chocolate with a tsp of coconut oil or a tbsp of oat milk and spread onto the jam layer.
Nutritional information (1/9):
933kJ/ 223kcal 30g Carbs – 3g Fiber, 10g Fat, 4g Protein
Try this christmas recipe out and tag me on instagram.