This hearty meat-less sub is very high in protein, and also is full of heart-healthy fats – who knew that a sub can be actually healthy!
This is ultimate comfort food is very tasty, and will satisfy your tastebuds for sure!
For the meat-less patties
- 125g Good Earth Flavoured Soya Flakes
- 1 tablespoon Good Earth ground Golden Linseed
- 1 tablespoon Good Earth Rapeseed Oil
- 2 tablespoons Good Earth Gram Flour
- 1 tablespoon Good Earth Italian Seasoning
- 75g Good Earth Walnut Halves
- 250g mushrooms
- 1 red onion
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 teaspoons tomato concentrate (kunserva)
- dash of soy sauce
- salt and pepper as required
For the sub sandwich
- Baguette-shaped bread of choice
- 5 tablespoons of your favourite herbed tomato pasta sauce
- Green Vie vegan mozzarella cheese, grated
- Ground the linseeds in a blender to a meal (do not over-blend)
- Mix 1 tablespoon of ground linseed to 3 tablespoons of water and set aside to form a slimy, “egg-like” consistency. This will help to bind the patties together.
- Rehydrate the flavoured soya flakes according to package instructions. Usually 1 part of soya flakes to 2 parts water.
- Pulse the walnuts to finely chopped pieces. Do not over-process otherwise it will become a paste.
- In the meantime, finely chop onion, garlic and mushrooms.
- In a large pan, heat a tablespoon of rapeseed oil and sauté the chopped onion, garlic and mushrooms.
- Add to the pan the rehydrated soya flakes and chopped walnuts.
- Mix in the tomato concentrate, soy sauce, italian seasoning, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper and take off the heat.
- Pre-heat your oven at 180 degrees.
- Put the mixture into a large bowl and fold in the “egg” mixture, and the gram flour.
- Form the mixture into a ball-liked shape, approximately 1.5-2 inches diameter.
- Place onto a lined baking tray and put in the oven for 45 minutes flipping half-way.
Assembling the sub
- Grate the vegan cheese, toast your baguette (optional) and heat your tomato sauce.
- Spread two tablespoons of the sauce to your baguette, place approximately three balls in the baguette and top with more sauce and cheese.
- Broil the sub for a couple of minutes till the cheese melts and serve.
- Feel free to form the meatless mixture into burger patties for instance, for a meatless burger.
- Left-overs can also be used for a spaghetti-meat(less) ball dinner!
- This recipe can be made in advance – the patties can be frozen and used to your convenience.
Subscribe To Our Newsletter
Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from our team.