Veggy Malta tries out a fresh and easy to make salad that even Popeye would love. It contains spinach, onions, Fior di Vita Greek goat cheese, pine nuts, sesame seeds and poppy seeds.
The spinach in the salad provides the bulk, but spinach is also known for its high iron content and as an excellent source of vitamin K, vitamin A, vitamin C and folate as well as being a good source of manganese, magnesium, iron and vitamin B2. The onions should be ideally raw as they give an added kick to the plate and by eating them raw you are retaining all of its the benefits. Onions contains natural sugar, vitamins A, B6, C and E, minerals such as sodium, potassium, iron, dietary fibre and folic acid. Furthermore recently they have been attributed to a compound called allyl propyl disulphide, which is thought to have a similar effect to insulin in balancing blood sugar levels. This does not mean that you should use onions as a substitute for insulin therapy! 
The Fior di Vita Greek goat cheese gives the plate a protein boost, having nearly 25 g of protein in the 150 g serving. This recipe is suitable for vegetarians given that Fior di Vita Greek Goat cheese is made using microbiological bio rennet. The dressing made from poppy seeds and toasted sesame seeds and pine nuts mixed with olive oil gives added taste and further increases the protein value of this salad. If you want, you can also add some apple cider vinegar with the dressing.
Cooking instructions for the Spinach, Fior di Vita Greek goat cheese and pine nut salad
- Put some olive oil in a pan and heat moderately.
- Add the pine nuts and the sesame seeds leaving until they are slightly toasted.
- Place the pine nuts and the sesame seeds in a bowl.
- Add the poppy seeds.
- Add some olive oil (and apple cider vinegar optional)
- Mix them well to make a dressing.
- Wash the spinach leaves well to clean them from pesticides.
- Cut the spinach leaves into small pieces and put inside the bowl.
- Remove the onion skin.
- Cut the onion in thin slices and open the rings up and place in the bowl.
- Chop the Fior di Vita Greek goat cheese into small cubes and add.
- Mix all the ingredients well.
- Serve and enjoy.
Ingredients for the Spinach, Fior di Vita Greek goat cheese and pine nut salad
- 150 g of Fior di Vita Greek goat cheese
- 450 g fresh spinach
- 1 large (red) onion
- 8 tsp of pine nuts
- 4 tsp of poppy seeds
- 4 tsp of sesame seeds
- drizzle of olive oil
- drizzle of apple cider vinegar (optional)
Disclaimer: The information and content on this site is intended to be of general informational use. It is not intended to constitute medical advice, medical diagnosis, or medical treatment. You should always consult your doctor or other health care professional before making any changes in your diet, exercise pattern or lifestyle.